February 10, 2015

Big Update!: Parallax Occlusion is now fully featured in the Perfect Tile System!

In UE4's forums, user Ehamloptiran shared his custom Parallax Occlusion HLSL code with all the forum goers. Since this project's beginning, I was excited to get parallax occlusion integrated, but there was no way to do it and keep the shader clean. Thanks to Ehamloptrian, I was able to use the code in my project in a very novel way. In order to obtain separate parallax tiling for the Tile Map, I simply had to divide the UV result of the parallax occlusion code by the TM tiling values. This way, I only need to run the occlusion code once. I will be implementing this novel solution through the basic parallax as well and see if it saves the instruction count some more.

There are some things to work on, though: silhouette clipping, and the possibility of bringing back freeform tiling. But in the meantime, you may go ahead and enjoy these screenshots.


No comments:

Post a Comment